Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Women and Media Gonna Give It To Ya

Loving the posts so far, super insightful. This unfortunately will not be as deep.

      Hi everyone, my name is Adrian. I try to be honest with my thoughts and feelings,  so... I have mixed feelings about this class. On one hand, I think it's amazing. The level of immersion demanded of us through various mediums is brilliant , and I think it will create an unforgettable educational experience. But here's the thing. After six years of being a Hunter undergrad, I am finally graduating. And the last thing I wanted, was a lot of work from a class.

There's a tiny violin playing for me somewhere.
      Senioritis anybody? The plans I had to practice post-production related programs were squashed this past Saturday, so a part of me is admittedly a little bitter. That being said, I intent to get a good grade from this class, which means I will rise to the challenge. I consider myself a feminist and would love to hear what people have to say about the different issues we 'll be discussing.

       When it comes to the way I consume media, my primary way is through reddit. I can subscribe to subjects that interest me, get popular links, and look at the comments section for different points of view, which can be serious or funny. If I have time, I’ll look for informative or entertaining YouTube videos that cover current events. I keep an open mind about different points of view to feel informed and confident about my own views. For entertainment I like watching movies, tv shows, and playing video games.

      I've never been a big fan of social media, but I am trying to better understand and maybe even embrace it a bit more. The one I've used the longest is Facebook, and I don't use it much. With less than 150 friends, it’s easy to block out the unnecessary clutter and keep up with what people are up to (on a surface level anyway). I don't usually get a lot likes and comments for my posts so I'm usually silently browsing. I was content with that until I found out last year how important social media can be when you’re networking. I started using Instagram in the past year and have managed to stick with it. I take photos of places I find interesting and sometimes of stuff I'm working on related to post-production. I tried using Twitter as well but it annoyed me and ended up deleting my account after a month. I’m using this class as an excuse to give Twitter another chance for a longer period of time and hopefully get a better handle on it. 

I look forward to seeing you all this Saturday. This should be an interesting semester.


No comments:

Post a Comment