Saturday, February 6, 2016

Myself and media, a steady diet.

Myself and media.... I have no shame in admitting that I am addicted to media, it started as as Avalanche does. One scent less flake blown along by a light wind, then in short order, exponential growth and quite unexpectedly it has become the source of the wind. The growing maelstrom takes in everything on its path, as time passes it has enveloped many a peculiar thing. Some of these assist in the gathering momentum, if not, they've branched off and ended up statick. The bulk its weight still speeding along accumulating enough mass to hint at a never ending episode. When I was 4, or around there about, I was given my first personal media, music. At the time it was harmless, I'd wander around singing along to 'weird science' or 'Mexican radio' (insert vids here) heck, I still do that today. Of course there were plenty of looney toons to conjure up hijinks of a novice order. At that time audio and the moving visual image were about all I could wrap my head around. When I began to read a whole new world began to expand. Then I happened to meet some of my dads students messing around on a TV with bad color, where they were manipulating the action on the screen! Enter Wolfenstein!!! Through them I got to experience early computers, it sure beat the heck out of Oregon trail, or where in the world is Carmen San Diego. Next I woke up and was living in MS, for a place as hot and muggy as it is I was able to dig up a fair amount of various media. By this time I had started playing an instrument consistently, in learning it my self I was forced to scrounge up every bit of info I could manage. From the library, older kids, an occasional music store and last but not least the Internet. I started playing with auto cad, got mildly familiar, then transitioned to Sony Acid. All the while I had been playing in various bands, making flyers for shows, piecing together ransom note-esq flyers, learning to record was a logical progression. (So I thought.) I then pulled every bit of dough I had and moved here. Majority of my time has been spent playing all kinds of music. NYC though opened up a treasure chest of media, learning which museums are free on which days has been invaluable. Sure social media has been along for the ride, but I've been the one driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment