Monday, February 1, 2016

Media Consumption - You Are What You Eat

    Greetings, my name is Myles, I look forward to exploring issues of women in media that provide insight as to how it shapes attitudes and identity in our society.  I view media as a mostly psychologically driven business, and I am skeptical of most information presented on the internet.  I curate my own list of outlets in an attempt to steer content my way that I enjoy reading while engaging me to new concepts and ideas that challenge me to new ways of thinking. I create media in the sense that I produce projects that serve to entertain, engage and question mindsets in both a corporate and independent setting.  Being involved in casting and writing, I am very aware of the impact my privilege affords me and I attempt to make choices based on an inclusive and representative manner. 

     Concerning the topic of online identity, I keep a very low profile.  In an attempt to negate the intrusive nature of capitalism and marketing, I do not subscribe to any social media. I also avoid servers that block or track, with the exception of facebook, used to keep in touch with older family members.  I avoid memberships, mailing lists and voicing my opinion for the most part as a personal choice. That means I am new to twitter and in that way I will be experiencing a shared mass media event.  
     I am aware of the advantages of being connected to the internet by way of blogs, tweeting and being a part of a community that allows the sharing of ideas, especially in niche communities.  I think it is amazing that where in the past people felt alone, they are now connected to like-minded individuals, providing community and support where there was none previously.  Media fits into my life when I read the paper, or attend an event.  I use it for entertainment mostly.  The key part of that sentence is ‘I use it’. By leading a life that is mostly free of online activity, I feel it affords me more opportunities to engage, interact and spend time with people i value in a face to face setting.


     The media defines me in the way that someone is defined by their choice of information.  Reading specific newspapers may be considered elitist due to their high cost, or it may lead to the connotation that one is a left-leaning liberal or even old fashioned.  Like most conclusions  we draw, it depends on one’s mindset. Rejecting most media as truth, I challenge myself to live in a way that examines the root of my desires and goals in an attempt to move closer to the person i hope to become.  I utilize transcendental meditation, reading and exercise as tools that assist me along the way.  Helping others is important to me as well; I volunteer in capacities that utilize my skillset to help others, without attempting to align others to my beliefs but instead to lead by example.  I do not allow anyone, yet alone the idea of media, to define who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment