Monday, May 9, 2016

*Updated* Project Proposal

Like any other college student, at Hunter College or otherwise, I’ve experienced challenges and tests in shaping my views as the turbulence of being a twenty-something year old gripped me.  There seemed little question however, to how I felt about gender equality, so it never occurred to me that my peers or I would call ourselves anything but feminists.

 As my interactions grew, I found myself confounded at how often people avoided using the term to describe his or her views, although many a times they seemed feminist in nature. Allusions to the craziness of the modern feminist and her fight with men is what made so many people uncomfortable. Of course, how dare she.
To some people, the modern feminist movement is about so called "bitching"


So I began to feel smaller, cornered by the words of those who’s opinions were neither informed nor educated. I found myself apologizing for diving into passionate discussions about feminism or my own experiences as a woman.
"Calling cards" by Adrian Piper 


I believe that this class helped me find the strength and virility in standing ground in the presence of abrasiveness towards the feminist cause, and so I’d like to extend that in my project, which was inspired by Adrian Piper.  Similarly to Adrian’s own project, where she handed note cards telling them of her  to those who’d make racist remarks in her presence, I want to make business cards that inform my peers of who I am and what I stand for. I think that this aspect of the project will actively provoke those who I meet and engage in conversation to consider the alternate point of view.

The other aspect of the project will involve a short video that discusses the issues talked about in the anecdotes of my note cards. I'd like to make the video powerful  and unapologetic and send a message to other people who are uncomfortable or afraid of the word feminist. 


2 comments:

  1. What I like is that this project grew out of real situations and the frustration that goes along with it. I recall you mentioning how stunning it was to hear such archaic thinking and this is a positive solution, I look forward to your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I like is that this project grew out of real situations and the frustration that goes along with it. I recall you mentioning how stunning it was to hear such archaic thinking and this is a positive solution, I look forward to your presentation.

    ReplyDelete