Friday, May 20, 2016

Kozmohs the Blog.

My final project is called “Kozmohs”. It will be a blog site that will live on tumblr.com. I decided to do a blog because I realized that I learned a lot of feminist ideas from tumblr when I was 15/16 years old. I didn’t know everything, and I still don’t. However, after taking this class I can confidently say I know more about feminism than when I first came in through the doors in February. I believe there has always been this stigma about getting your information on the Internet because it might not be factual or it has a skewed point of view. While this can definitely and most certainly be true, I don’t think this happen 100% of time. Unfortunately kids are not offered feminists courses until they are in college, and not everyone takes a feminist course. I want to take what I’ve learned from just being on the Internet and from this class and turn it into a blog to help young kids, primarily freshman in high school; who are probably not familiar with feminism or only the “bad parts” of it.

I wanted to do different types of “topics” for this blog, to keep sort of a theme going. I focused primarily on the Body Image and how they can relate back to feminist ideas. Young girls and boys are not insecure about themselves just because they decide to be like that one day. They have been crushed into this box and most kids don’t fit that box, one way or another they come to the conclusion that there must be something wrong with them. When in fact, there is nothing wrong with them; it is society that’s all screwed up. I chose to start of with Body Image/Representation because that is what I personally have had the most experience with. I wanted to stick with what I know and I wanted to write about something that I am really passionate about. I hate that there are so many little boys and girls who hate their appearances. They haven’t even lost all their baby teeth and are worrying about diets and looking a certain way. I want kids to be kids. I want young teens to explore themselves without feeling like they have to change every single aspect about their looks to feel like they are worthy.

I feel like you shouldn’t have to wait to take a woman studies course in order to learn about feminism. It should be taught everywhere. I also included links on every post written so far with extra material or a place where they can buy the book I mentioned. If there was a pdf version of at least a chapter, I included links to it because I want whoever stumbles upon the blog to not just read my thoughts on the subject but also further enhance their knowledge by getting to know the pieces I quote.


Like I said, I don’t know all the answers. But this is a start for young teens to learn about feminist writers and the way society has really screwed up our point of view of our bodies and the “standards” we should live by. It is never to early to learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment