Saturday, May 21, 2016

MuslimahTube: The Truth About Mozlems



The Muslim woman always seems to be represented in the media, or should I say, misrepresented in the media.  Ever since the War on Terror, Muslim women have been the constant source of justification.  We have been the subject of discussion when it comes to the liberation of women and women’s rights in the Muslim world.  We have been used to justify illegal warfare in the Middle East in the disguise of “saving” Muslim women.  Typically, Muslim women are seen to be oppressed, subdued, submissive, silenced, etc.  However, this notion is far from the truth.  The Muslim woman demands correct representation and an opportunity to voice her thoughts when it comes to religion, politics, feminism, or even just life.  Muslim women are tired of misrepresentations of themselves in the media.  This is why I’ve created a YouTube channel to promote real Muslim women and what they want the world to see.  MuslimahTube is the name of the channel I’ve created.  I hope to constantly upload content that pertains to Muslim women, religion, and feminism.  This form of media will prove to be a channel where one could find the genuine voices and opinions of Muslim women.   

I will upload content every Friday, and when my views and subscribers pick up, I will upload content every Monday and Friday.  My videos will consist of a series of interviews by Muslim women and of Muslim women that will feature genuine accounts that give voice to prevalent issues in our society surrounding Muslims and women in general.  I don’t want to limit my channel to just issues regarding women.  I plan to include interviews and accounts of Muslim women about any important topic or social issue.  Some other videos will simply be DYI projects, homemade skin care, recipes, or any other craft that we have to offer as multi faceted women. 
 There will be many opinionated vlog style videos, where I myself will discuss topics that intrigue me or topics I think need more attention. 

MuslimahTube is a platform where you will find the various and distinct voices of Muslim women in regards to everything.  Even within the Muslim community, Muslim women are absent when it comes to discussion regarding women in Islam.  This channel will provide an outlet for these voices, so that women can discuss their own issues within the religion.  This channel will hopefully dispel illogical misconceptions about Muslim women and will provide a colorful face to an often silenced entity in the media. 

The first video that I have uploaded and posted is part of my series called, “The Truth About Mozlems.”  This series will contain accounts from various Muslim women about any topic that interests them.  In this video, I’ve featured Ferida Osman, a young woman that experienced Islamophobia on her way home in New York.  Her story was featured in a New York Times article about growing Islamophobia post the Paris bombing.  This account is her opinion on Islamophobia and her opinion as a Muslim woman.  Enjoy, share it, and do subscribe!



No comments:

Post a Comment