Friday, May 20, 2016

Final Project: Oral Traditions

     In my opinion, one of the greatest discoveries made by humanity is the art of storytelling. Although storytelling exists in various forms, I believe it has one sole purpose; it exists to share the personal experiences of individuals. By drawing on the unique perspectives of humanity, storytelling contributes to our ability to empathize and sympathize with our peers, ultimately allowing us to construct society into a virtuous setting. However, differences become weaponized in our quest to categorize the world. As a result, this ideology has urged me to draw on our differences in an attempt to find the similarities that all humans shares with one another; the perception of artwork is dependent on the unique story of a person, emphasizing on the personalized perspective each individual carry.  
 
     By drawing on the oral traditions of our ancestors and modern technology, I assembled an audio profile for my final project. The audio profile examines the influence of binary thinking on those that do not necessarily belong in society's concept of the binary. Despite our obsession with categorizing the known and the unknown, we often make the mistake of excluding important categories. The audio profile attempts to materialize the voices that society chooses to ignore, the voices of the neglected and the unfamiliar. 




     After juggling between various ideas for my audio project, I reached out to a high school classmate that I have not spoken to in three years. As a peer and a friend, I witnessed Jordyn's change, but as a member of society, I did not understand Jordyn's change. However, my experiences at Hunter College has educated me with the perspective of various students and professors. As a result, I wanted to demonstrate what Hunter College has taught me.







No comments:

Post a Comment