Saturday, April 16, 2016

WFP- Women For Palestine *Updated Project Proposal*

For my project, I will be creating the first podcast episode of my series, which I have yet to name- So far I've been thinking Women for Palestine, WFP. My podcast will feature interviews and conversations with Palestinian women and other women who support issues that we face in society. The point of my project is to give Palestinian women a voice in media, and to strengthen the support for women in need. Being a female Palestinian, I have access to women like myself- who are active in the Palestinian American community and care about making a difference in how they are represented in the media. The main goal is to change the way people view the Palestinian struggle by providing a space to discuss real issues from real women.  

For my podcast, I plan to use a simple recording application which I will further edit and finalize in Adobe Audition. I have experience editing audio and using this software so I am capable of creating a professional recording for my podcast. I have also started working with a templates online on tumblr, playing around with different layouts for the 'website' page of my podcast. I plan to post photos on the page, information about the podcast, a transcription of the podcast, have supplemental information, a comment section and more. Of course, I will also have the recording uploaded to the page to listen to. 
I plan to share my podcast with my family and friends, as well as use social media as a way to get people on. I will also share it with other organizations and pages online, which discuss similar issues. A large amount of women in my family are a part of the Arab Association of NY, and I am related to many prominent female Palestinian activists in NYC, I'm hoping to use them as a resource.
So far the what seems most challenging for me is choosing who to interview, a typical NPR podcast lasts about 20 minutes, I believe I can fit 1-2 interviews in. I'm hoping to grow my project outside of this classroom and build a community of women like myself. I think that once I get the first podcast done for this class and get some feedback, I'll be able to produce another and more each month. 
Timeline: Over this upcoming week I plan to have recorded at least one interview, depending on whether or not I choose to ask Linda Sarsour to participate. Otherwise I will use the voice of another Palestinian women who is passionate about getting her voice out there to speak on issues of representations of Palestinian women in the media. 
Once I have my first interview recorded, I will create an introduction for my podcast and an ending as well. I will discuss the purpose of my podcast and provide information about what the interviews will be about. I will then introduce my participating guest. I plan to do this over the course of the next 3 weeks. Ideally, I will have most of my tumblr page done over spring break, and have recorded raw audio of an interview.
Once I am done with a finalized recording, I am hoping the podcast will take on a life of its own through people sharing it and getting excited about having a different perspective. 

Here are some resources providing more information: (will be added to)



http://www.deliberation.info/women-activism-in-palestine/


UPDATE: 4/26 
I was able to contact some feminists activists from Palestine who are going to participate in my first podcast, I am super excited to speak with them!

3 comments:

  1. This seem to be a great idea, hear is a link to a site that has women talking about their experiences as well. http://www.peacexpeace.org/media/our-media/60y60v/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea! I JUST got into listening to podcasts and while I listen to some of the pointless ones, I would really like to add some quality content to queue. I think there should definitely be some kind of introductory podcast episode where we here from you, and then get to the nitty gritty of it all. As someone who has very little knowledge of Palestine and the women there, I would like to know why this is important, and why you decided to start this. It gives the podcast some realness when you input a personal narrative. It doesn't have to be long, it could be short but make it about you. Once thats up, then you can have the interview you recorded with other stuff in it as well. Good luck! and i cant wait to hear all about this amazing project unfold and come to life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an excellent topic that needs more attention. I too would like to know what inspired this and look forward to seeing the project come to fruition.

    ReplyDelete