Friday, April 1, 2016

Project Proposal

Project Proposal
I’m going to write an essay discussing to what degree sexism is socially acceptable in the U.S. and why it is. I’m planning on covering a variety of subjects that contribute to it, such as the psychology
of patriarchy, body shaming, and the majority race and gender being mostly represented. I intend on writing to convince people to be feminists.
I also intend on writing in an indirect tone. I plan on disguising my essay initially so the scary word
One of the normal looking ads that are
actually sexist
There are psychological reasons
behind patriarchal traits
“feminism” and the bad connotations it may have doesn’t turn off too many readers before I elaborate on it. I plan to discuss things like sexist advertisements that pass in society that most may not know are in fact sexist. While I talk about ads and norms, I also plan to discuss how certain stereotypes and such are harmful, going into detail of implications, all the while not directly mentioning the connection between that and the sexist advertisements, hoping that readers will have “aha” moments.
Mainly I’m hoping that people will find moments in the essay that they can relate to themselves. I think if readers come to the conclusion themselves they will be more open to thinking in a feminist way. I’ve had a lot of revelations in this class that I hope I can replicate in this essay.

(so far I’ve only got psychological articles)
http://pwq.sagepub.com/content/21/1/103.short
http://pwq.sagepub.com/content/21/1/119.short
http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/1982-12818-001

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of this project but I just think it could be hard to write an essay about feminism and sexism without the subject matter being somewhat obvious.
    How would you distribute the essay? Are you planning on publishing it online or in print?

    ReplyDelete