Friday, April 15, 2016

Project Proposal

I realized my original idea was not a good one. However I did start thinking about making the project more personal by creating something for someone like me. So I thought about the Bechdel Test and how I thought more critically about it in class.

I’d like to make a video to provide perspective on the issue this test wants to highlight, which is the lack of proper female representation in Hollywood. After a quick introduction of what it is, I’d like to clarify what it is. For example, one common misconception of the test is that a failure means a movie is not good. I’d also like to provide my own perspective on how lenient the rules should be. All this will be provided with visual examples. I also thought about using a mirrored version of the test to help show the privilege white guys have in movies in terms of representation. Just to clarify what I mean:

Standard Bechdel Test,  a film must
1) Have two female characters (and)
2) Who talk to each other (and)
3) About something other than men.

Mirrored Version:
1) Have two male characters (and)
2) Who talk to each other (and)
3) About something other than women.


I’d also like to talk about similar tests like the 'Mako Mori Test' to compare and contrast the strengths and weaknesses of these kinds of tests.

Mako Mori Test
1) Does the film have at least one female character?
2) Does this female character get her own narrative arc?
3) Is this narrative arc not about supporting a man’s story?

 I hope to inform people, provide my own perspective (which isn’t necessarily correct), and help people think more critically about the media they consume.

The video would incorporate pictures and footage of examples as well as my own VO. So I have to write a script for that. Not sure what else...

I’ve started looking for and watching movies that could pass one or both tests:

Mean Girls, Princess and the Frog, Mulan, The Color Purple, The Help, Frida, Kill BIll, The Hunger Games, The Cell, The Craft

-No timeline at the moment. I have two other final projects to complete so I’m probably going to finish those first before fully diving into this one.
-This will be a video, so I’ll probably upload this YouTube or Vimeo or both
-I have an interest in spreading ideas involving critical thinking that are easy to understand.
-If I’m happy with it I might share it on some subreddits on reddit, facebook, twitter.
-Making this for people who don’t know anything or much about the Bechdel Test or the Mako Mori Test
-I’m not sure yet how this will fit into my portfolio. It might show I am a competent editor
-I have no idea how this will grow or progress, I’m making this primarily to pass this class.


The Mako Mori Test: 'Pacific Rim' inspires a Bechdel Test alternative
http://www.dailydot.com/fandom/mako-mori-test-bechdel-pacific-rim/

Bechdel Test vs Mako Mori Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiRFu1a143E

Mako Mori test
http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Mako_Mori_test

Videos about the Bechdel Test for reference:
http://feministfrequency.com/2009/12/07/the-bechdel-test-for-women-in-movies/
and
http://feministfrequency.com/2012/02/15/the-2012-oscars-and-the-bechdel-test/

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are making the project more personal. Here are some movies that passed the Bechdel Test: Hush,Trainwreck, The Quiet Hour, The Boss, The Divergent Series: Allegiant and 10 Cloverfield Lane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought of something very similar during my brainstorming process for the final project!
    A suggestion that I have for your project revolves around the images of misinterpreted women within our media. While the tests reinforce the validity of these movies, I feel that movies that fail must also be acknowledged and questioned: what makes it a poorly developed/written movie?
    From these questions, you may construct archetypes for the poorly misrepresented women. For example, all Bond movies, while popular to various audiences, contain a specific archetype of woman. A seductive and vicious woman who's appeal lies in her mystifying demeanor.
    This approach will definitely make your project more critical and fun to do!

    Good lucks! ;>

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea and can't wait to see what you finish with! One thing I would love to see more in depth is a brief analysis of the select movies that do pass the Bechdel test, and if the presence of the female characters is an accurate representation of women. Even movies that pass the Bechdel test are highly problematic when it comes to representing women in films.
    Have fun doing this!

    ReplyDelete