Friday, April 1, 2016

Project Proposal

          For my semester project, I would like to write a script for a short film in order to address the issues of growing up within an environment where women are constantly sexualized both by the media and members of society. The constant objectification of women has taken a toll on the collective society; it dehumanizes both men and women, resulting in a destructive hierarchal society of gender, race, and social status. However, I believe that this process is not irreversible. By drawing from one of the many mediums for raising awareness, I feel that a captivating script can result in a powerful reminder that the greater task at hand; the ability to overcome the differences between man and woman in order to create a stronger sense of humankind.
          The script will be approximately twelve to seventeen pages depending on the development of the plot/dialogue. Currently, the script revolves around the life of a single mother and her daughter. I hope to explore the irreplicable bond between a mother and her child. It is perhaps the greatest difference that exist between the binary male and female gender. I also hope to address the growth of a child in order to address the importance of a parental figure within the digital age.
          The script will be uploaded online for the public to read. I will be using Celtx to write the script. I hope to present the script in a critiquing manner where it is read out loud before it is discussed. The narration and roles will be assigned prior to the reading. I believe that the best research that can assist me in my writing will be through the anecdotes and accounts of mothers. By drawing from real-live stories, I believe that I will be able to capture challenges all mothers and children face.

          Because I am not entirely sure about the format of the semester project, for my semester back-up project, I would like to write an essay with embedded images of the same topic. However, the essay will focus on the relationship between a parent and child and the fears that come with raising children within the state of the current society.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a bit confused by your proposal. You wrote what issues you wanted to explore for this project, but you don't explain how the project actually addresses any of them. What are you trying to accomplish with your project what does it mean to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A script seems fine, but will it revolve around two main characters while being drawn from multiple real life stories? At that point it may be easier to just use multiple characters and different story lines. It may also be distracting to the audience to explore the mother-child bond when the main idea is about showing the wrongs of a hierarchical society. And, just a thought, it might be cool to combine your two ideas. Like having a mother worry about her daughter growing up in this society and then showing what she's worried about by showing the mother's friends dealing with the issues that she's worried her daughter may have.

    ReplyDelete