Friday, March 4, 2016

Advertisement vs Objectification

     Today my life changed, after reading these articles I realized that I am not conscience of what is
going on around me.  Advertisement is all around us, but we just see it as a selling tool, well that’s how I saw it. How could I have been so blinded to what was directly in my face, I know I’m not the only one that feels this way? I was surprised at what I found that I brought it to the attention of family, friends and co-workers. I know times have changed and things appear to be different, but when you look deep into a corporation and/or their history of advertisement nothing has really changed. Using Chanel ads as an example in “Sex, Lies and Advertising,” people of color spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on Chanel products and they didn’t or don’t have one person that represent them in their ads. My friend and I did the research and decided to look into ads of today there was one that represented a person and/or a woman of color.

     As women of color we tend to conform to the “norms” of society, if they don’t see us that’s fine, if they don’t acknowledge us that’s also, fine, but the moment we do it to each other that is when the waters become murky. We rage against each other while supporting the capitalist businesses continues to make us obsolete to the eye of the public. What I’ve learned thus far is that the media is a capital business, don’t misunderstand my statement, I was fully aware that this is a business first and foremost, but everything seems linked towards capitalism at the expense of women. It was dishearten to see an ad of Honey Boo Boo made to look as an adult woman that had to do with condoms, a child are they kidding me. Just like the commercial of feed the children, they had the
audacity to use a color boy behaving as a dog and then at the end of the commercial surmise that it cost under a dollar a day (I think) to feed a child. I was furious to say the least.
     While trying to gain capital they forget or did they? The people that has been affected. Having corporations become the mode of stimulation using mass media. Have what entice one, entice us all. I look at ads and say to myself that’s not me and that would not never look good on me, because that person that suppose to be stimulating me into purchasing that item does nothing for me or to me. Maybe, because I’m a simple woman; maybe, because when I see someone that is a size one with beautiful blue eyes and long hair, I don’t see me; maybe, because that ad wasn’t meant for me, but other women may see themselves in those ads. I have a great deal of maybe’s, but one for sure is I can’t support a corporation that don’t see my sisters, my people or even myself in their vision of advertisement.
     Advertiser have forgotten the rule of humanization, once you dehumanize a people, class, race or otherwise you lose sight of what’s meaning full. How do you condone domestic violence by suggesting a cover-up with make-up? How and when did that become acceptable behavior? Suggesting a women beauty comes from the foundation she applies on her skin, defines who she really is, not her true natural beauty. Society holds to much emphasis on what a women looks like then of who she is; why can’t her innocence sustain womanhood for her? Advertisers have women under the impression that a blush, eye crayon, lip dressing or winkle erasers are the true envision of women, while losing the sense of women in the process.
     Women have become this object in advertisement and media, this thing that is always ready to be entered. They are placed in poses that has nothing to do with the item they are advertising for (i.e. cigarettes). What does a woman lying on her back with her legs spread open and the image of her looking in between her legs at a man leaning on his car smoking a cigarette has to do with the brand of cigarette they advertising? She becomes objectified as in this short video. https://youtu.be/9OQYTy1FU_c. So how do we illuminate objectification here are some ideas, we stop supporting corporations that objectify women, we stop supporting organizations that don’t cater to the mass population and we stop encouraging corporations to suppress a women’s true beauty by telling her what she need to be considered woman. This can be the only way we ensure that advertiser removal masculinity out of mass media. 

No comments:

Post a Comment